How to apply for NBI Clearance in Australia: A Step-by-step guide
An NBI Clearance is a certificate issued by the National Bureau of Investigation. It is considered a valid form of identification and is usually a general requirement for applications related to skilled migration or work-related visas for character references or employment requirements. This is how important getting an NBI clearance is before or when you are in Australia. This guide is to help you apply for an NBI clearance in two ways. In person or by post/mail
Here are the step-by-step guide in appllying for a NBI clearance through mail/post:
1. Proceed to the nearest Philippines Consulate/Embassy to acquire an NBI fingerprint card. You will be required to provide your compelte address and contact number. You can send in your request through mail or email through their respective contacts details. If you want you can also give them a ring by phone and request for one to be mailed in.
2. Once you have received the fingerprint card, you will then be required to write in your personal information into the card. Fill out the card legibly as possible.
3. prepare a copy of your latest passport-sized photograph. The photograph should have a white background and should have not been taken at least three months before the date of application. Now attach this to the application.
4. You are then required to go to the nearest police station to have your fingerprints impressed unto the NBI fingerprint card. They will have to certify and witness that it is your own fingerprints. Have them sign their name and designation unto the appropriate spaces found under the card indicating whoever facilitated the fingerprint verification. The police station will then tamp the NBI fingerprint card with it’s seal to indicate the agency that facilitated your card.
5. With the form filled out and completed, we are then required to send it over via post to the nearest Philippines Embassy/Consulate together with the following attachments:
A self-addressed express or registered envelope (A4 size)
A clear photocopy of the data page of your current passport stamped/signed by a Justice of Peace
Payment of AU$ 45.00 (bank cheque or money order made payable to the Philippine Embassy/Consulate)
For married women, a clear photocopy of your Marriage Certificate signed/stamped by a Justice of Peace
Your complete address and contact details
6. The NBI Fingerprint card will be mailed back to your address now certified with the Philippine Embassy/Consulate seal.
Before we continue on to the next step. Here are the step-by-step guide in applying for an NBI clearance in person:
1. All you have to do is visit the nearest Philippines Embassy/ Consulate office and bring the requirements that you have attached with the NBI fingerprint card. Which are the following:
Your valid passport
A clear photocopy of your passport’s data page
One recent passport-sized photograph with white background
Payment of AU$ 45.00
2. Head over to the NBI Processing counter and obtain an NBI fingerprint card form.
3. Go to the cashier’s counter and give payment of AU$ 45.00
4. When payment is done, bring receipt and return it together with NBI fingerprint card to have your fingerprints impressed unto the form.
5. The completed NBI fingerprint card will then be signed by the Consulate or signing officer and returned to you.
Now that we have accomplished the necessary steps you need to do here in Australia. We will continue on towards the next steps regardless of type of application, may it be by post/mail or in person.
The Philippine Embassy/Consulate will not be processing your NBI clearance. There are two option you can do to secure or jumpstart the application.
Option 1: Send the completed NBI fingerprint card form directly to the NBI office in the Philippines. Don’t forget to enclose a payment in the form of an international bank cheque in the amount of Php 200.00 (two hundred pesos). Make the cheque payable to the Director, National Bureau of Investigation. The form should be addressed to:
NBI Clearance Center
Attention: Mailed Clearance Section
NBI Taft Avenue, Ermita
Manila, Philippines 1000
Tel. No.: +632 523 8231 loc. 5499
The NBI clearance certificate will be mailed to you upon completion. Processing usually takes five days, excluding transit time.
Option 2: You may also send the completed NBI fingerprint card form to a friend or relative who is currently residing in the Philippines. Don’t forget to enclose a letter of authorization allowing them to process the application in your behalf.
Upon receiving your NBI clearance certificate, examine it closely to ascertain the presence of the NBI dry seal. This should be found at the lower left section of the certificate. The NBI clearance is invalid without it. Also, make sure to affix your thumbprint on the allocated space.
And you have completed the steps on how to get the NBI clearance here in Australia! Congratulations!